COYABA DANCE THEATRE
DEM RAIDER BOYZ
THE LADY RAIDERS
SOUL IN MOTION
Saturday, August 26
4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Kingman and Heritage Islands
Oklahoma Avenue and Benning Road NE
Map and Directions
Tickets for StepFest are no longer available online. Tickets will be available at the door.
Journey to the Islands
4 p.m. Start your StepFest experience by joining artists from Step Afrika!, Coyaba Dance Theatre, Soul in Motion and Dem Raider Boyz as they make their way to the Islands.
- From Penn Quarter – Coyaba Dance Theatre will take the X2 bus from Gallery Place/7th and H Streets NW to Langston Golf Course/Spingarn
- From Union Station – Join Soul in Motion drummers riding the FREE DC Streetcar from Union Station to Oklahoma Avenue and Benning Road NE
- From River Terrace – Meet up with Step Afrika!‘s artists at Northeast Performing Arts Group at 34th Street and Benning Road NE for a workshop at 3 p.m. before beginning your journey to the island on foot.
- From Eastern Market – Build your energy with Dem Raider Boyz taking the Metro Orange/Blue/Silver Line from Eastern Market to Stadium Armory Metro
All journeys start at 4 p.m. at designated locations. Please note that bus/metro fares are not included. You are responsible for paying the required fare for your Journey to the Islands.
4 p.m. Will call opens at Kingman Island Entrance Gate
- Tell us about your Journey to the Islands
- Play the Scavenger Hunt for a chance to win Step Afrika! tickets and a Step Shop workshop for your school
- Check out the Riverside classroom for Drum Making and other creative activities
- Enjoy the natural beauty of Heritage Island and learn about DC’s percussive history on a walking tour with Joe Kennedy Jr. AKA Rainbow Joe
- Learn about the different type of drum at the Drum Circle/Petting Zoo
5 p.m. Performance Program begins
- Soul in Motion at Heritage Island Bridge
- Welcome to the Islands at Heritage Island Bridge
- Coyaba Dance Theater at Tap Rock on Heritage Island
- Dem Raider Boyz warm up in the Meadow and rehearsal on the Bridge Stage
- Stepping on the Dock with Dem Raider Boyz and the Lady Raiders on the Bridge Stage
- Step Afrika! performance at the Meadow Main Stage
7:30 p.m. Program Ends. Don’t forget to share your StepFest story on social media or with Step Afrika! artists before you head home.
Plan and prepare for your visit to the Islands
Kingman and Heritage Islands are natural areas with little infrastructure. Please make sure you plan and prepare to make your StepFest experience enjoyable for the whole family!
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing
- Bring a chair or blanket to sit on
- Bring sun screen and bug-spray
- Bring a refillable water bottle. (Bottled water refill stations will be available)
- Pack a picnic (There are no restaurants or food vendors on the island or in the immediate vicinity)
- Check the weather forecast and pack a poncho/umbrella/rain gear as needed
Step Afrika! will provide water refill stations and pre-packaged snacks (such as granola bars) and limited seating for elderly or disabled patrons only.
Please click here for Kingman and Heritage Island park rules
Visit the KINGMAN ISLAND WEBPAGE for more information about the history and environment of the islands